We know a lot of you are probably feeling a little stir-crazy being stuck at home and getting tired of cooking every night! One of the first entrees we added to our Family Meals menu was our Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf. This is not your mama’s meatloaf! The smoked bacon adds a wonderful flavor that’s sure to be a hit with everyone in your family. Plus it can be made in large batches so you can cook some now and freeze some for an easy dinner later!
Watch as Chef Christopher Hewitt shows step-by-step how to prepare this yummy dinner, along with some helpful tips and techniques:
- The best way to prepare your peppers and onions to have the best texture
- A substitute for liquid smoke that you might already have in your fridge
- How to prepare a quenelle to make sure your meatloaf has the perfect flavor
- How to make this recipe gluten-free
- How to prep the pan for easy clean-up
- How to freeze this recipe to use later
SMOKED BACON WRAPPED MEATLOAF
½ pound of Bacon
5 pounds hamburger meat
1 medium yellow onion – diced small
2 medium green bell peppers – diced small
4 tablespoons garlic
4 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
4 tablespoons liquid smoke
2 cups panko
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet saute onion, green pepper, and garlic until soft.
- In a large bowl mix together ketchup, dijon, liquid smoke, and eggs.
- Add hamburger to wet ingredients.
- Add in onion, green pepper, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix everything together.
- Add panko and mix well.
- Divide into two portions (or more if desired) – one for now and one to freeze for later.
- Cover a sheet pan with foil and form a loaf out of your meat mixture.
- Wrap loaf in Bacon.
- Place in the oven and cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
ENJOY! Check back next week to see how you can turn meatloaf leftovers into another delicious meal.